Pierre Brasseur (Les Enfants du Paradis) is Dr Génessier, a brilliant and obsessive plastic surgeon driven by the need to restore his daughter s disfigured face and push the boundaries of his field. Aided by his loyal assistant Alida Valli (Suspiria), who lures young women to his secluded chateau in pursuit of his dark quest. Eugen Schüfftan's (The Hustler) stunning cinematography lends the chateau an almost Cocteau-esque life of its own, and Edith Scob (Judex) is quite remarkable as the ravaged beauty.
Eyes Without a Face is at once cruel and tender, highlighting Georges Franju's unique blend of pulp, horror and poetry. In the decades since its release it has been a major influence on filmmakers as diverse as Jesús Franco, John Carpenter and, more recently, Pedro Almodóvar.
Format: UK Blu-Ray + DVD (Region B/2)
Director: Georges Franju
Actors: Pierre Brasseur, Alida Valli, Juliette Mayniel
Picture Format: 16x9 Widescreen 1.66:1
Sound: Doly Digital Mono
Length: 90 Minutes
* Feature-length audio commentary by film expert Tim Lucas (Video Watchdog)
* Monsieur et Madame Curie (Georges Franju, 1953, 14 mins): a study of the life and work of the Curies, told through the words of Marie Curie.
* La Première nuit (Georges Franju, 1958, 20 mins): a young boy spends a night in the Métro.
* Les Fleurs maladives de Georges Franju (Pierre-Henri Gibert, 2009, 50 mins): an overview of Georges Franju's career.
* For Her Eyes Only - An interview with Edith Scob (L P Hugo, 2014, 17 mins)
* Fully illustrated booklet featuring essays from Kate Ince, Isabel Stevens, Roberto Cueto Llera, Raymond Durgnat, Kevin Jackson and Michael Brooke; and full film credits.